Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Mommy's L&D Playlist

When I was getting ready for the big day when Makenna would arrive, I knew that in some way, I would need to have music involved.  I'm kind of a music nut.  Not a day goes by when I don't listen to iTunes, an online radio station, the radio in my car, one of those random music channels on TV.  I just plain LOVE music, and I also know that it calms me and helps me relax...which we all know is important when you are getting ready to push a child out of your body!

At the childbirth class that Chad and I attended, we practiced breathing each night while our teacher played some "soothing" (i.e. classical) music in the background.  I knew immediately that this type of music was not going to cut it for me.  I need something I can SING to, not just pianos and violins.  So I sat down with my iTunes and began to arrange myself a little Labor and Delivery Playlist.  

As I began, I thought I would do two separate lists, one with more upbeat songs and one with slower, more mellow music.  I started on the "upbeat" list first, and the more I added to it, the more I realized that I probably wasn't going to want to rock out to "Are You Gonna Be My Girl" by Jet while I was having contractions.  So I focused on the "slow" list and started adding to it.  I quickly realized that my nurse was probably going to think I was a weirdo.  It was one of the oddest mixes of songs you could imagine, but what can I say?  I like a variety, people!  

In the end, I put together 138 songs, which equaled 8.8 hours of music, starting with "Across the Universe" and ending with "Your Song."  Would that be enough, I wondered, to get me through most of labor?  Turns out that it was!  When little Tootie decided to make her appearance, I still had 10 songs left to go!  I totally patted myself on the back for my amazing timing there.  Not surprisingly, the list contained a LOT of Broadway music.  Did I mention I'm a musical theater nerd?  Songs from West Side Story, Aida, Phantom of the Opera, A Chorus Line, The Last Five Years.  Here is one of my favorites from the Broadway portion of the list.


(Side note: If you like musical theater and have NOT heard of The Last Five Years...check it out NOW.  Amazing music, amazing story, amazing performers (Sherie Rene Scott and Norbert Leo Butz).  It's truly a unique and moving show.)

Not surprisingly, three artists topped the list with the most number of songs: The Beatles at 15, Billy Joel at 15 also, and Elton John at 14.  I HEART Billy and have seen him twice - once by himself and once with Elton.  AMAZING.  I sometimes sing this song to little Tooter.  



But only ONE Bon Jovi song?!?  What was I thinking?  At least it was one very special Bon Jovi song - "Thank You For Loving Me," which is the song Chad and I danced to at our wedding.  

Now I know some of you might be worried that no random 80's hits made the list.  But oh, how wrong you would be!  How about "Total Eclipse of the Heart," "Africa" and "True"?  Does that float your 80's boat?  It did mine!  And movie and TV soundtracks were also well-represented, with tunes from Moulin Rouge and, of course, Glee.  Who can resist the smoothness of these two voices together?!?!?  Matthew Morrison...sigh.


I had old school (Loggins and Messina, Crosby, Stills and Nash), and new school (The Foo Fighters.)  A couple of songs were so great, I had them twice, in different versions ("The Way You Look Tonight" by Frank Sinatra AND Michael Buble, and "Your Song" by Elton AND Ewan.)  

Yes, my list was well-rounded and exactly what I wanted.  Did I listen intently to every single song?  Of course not!  But I was always conscious of the music playing in the background, and it definitely soothed and calmed me when I needed it.  In fact, I still listen to the same playlist when I just want something to help me relax and focus.  And one day, I hope that little Tootie will listen and appreciate it, too.  


No comments:

Post a Comment