Wednesday, July 27, 2011

A Heavenly Baptism Day

Yes, on Sunday morning, our baby angel was baptized!  What a truly beautiful, blessed, memorable moment for our family.   But of course, like most beautiful, blessed, memorable moments, there was a lot of preparation involved that was anything BUT beautiful!


First, of course, came the invitations.  For weeks before the big day, I searched and searched for ones that I liked - if you know me, you know I like to have things JUST so - but really couldn't find one that jumped out at me.   So I decided to make one.  I tried several different angel pictures and other types of designs, then finally settled on this.  


Simple and sweet, which is what I wanted.  I printed them off, and off they went!  Forget that I completely forgot to put OUR names on it!  


We decided to have the reception at our house, so that we could easily set things up beforehand and just have to run home and pull out the food the day of.  I got to work planning what we needed - chips, dip and salsa, of course, plus sandwich meats, cheeses, rolls.  Vegetables and fruit would round out the spread, along with sodas and bottled water.  I made multiple lists to remind myself of everything we needed.  Why multiple lists, you ask?  I'll tell you - I don't know.  Of course, there also had to be cake.  There was no doubt that I would make it myself.  Mom came through with her old cross cake pan, and I got to work looking for a design.  I found a stained glass cake on the Wilton website that I feel in love with, so stained glass it would be.  


The week of the baptism, I took a half day off of work on Friday for cleaning, errands and food prep.  My first order of business was making the icing for the cake.  Quick and easy, into the fridge it went.  Then I loaded Makenna into the car, and we headed out to shop for a gift from mommy and daddy.  We then hopped over to Party City for a tablecloth and some serving trays, then hit Michael's for the piping gel I needed for the cake.  That night, I baked the cake and cleared out its spot in the fridge.


Saturday, Chad and I were up bright and early, ready to clean the house from top to bottom!  He got to work on the yard, and I got to work on the cake, getting the icing base down.  Over 100 degrees outside translates to at least 80 degrees inside...which translates to melting icing.  But fear not!  I just popped it into the refrigerator when necessary, and all was well!  We cleaned bathrooms, did laundry, dusted, shoved items in closets (yes...I'll admit it), straightened counters, swept floors.  We had our shopping list all ready for the last-minute items...and then Chad was called into work.  WHAT?!?!?!?  We almost had a Major Mommy Meltdown, but I tried to stay calm.  He headed out, none too happy about the situation, and Makenna and I hit up good old Kroger.  Once we were back home, it was cake time!  I knew that I could clean when I was groggy and sleepy, but there was no way I could finish that cake half asleep!  It turned out pretty darned fabulous...if I do say so myself.
When Chad made it home, we knocked out some more cleaning and got our fruit and veggie trays ready to go.  After a little bit of relaxing, we headed to bed in the hopes of getting some decent sleep before the craziness of the morning.  


Makenna woke up much earlier than usual Sunday morning, at 6:52 a.m.  I know this because she woke up crying, which is VERY unlike her, and I immediately looked at the clock.  We both stumbled out of bed to get started.  Feed the baby, shower, vacuum and mop floors, pick up toys that are laying around, get dip bowls ready to go, get OURSELVES ready to go, pick up the meat trays, ice the drinks, set up the table...WHEW!  We dressed up our little cutie in her beautiful baptism dress, then raced out the door to get to the church. 


Once we were at the church, our family began to arrive, and Chad and I guzzled down sodas to get some caffeine into us.  We were TIRED.  I still had that nervous, slightly stressed, nauseous feeling that you have when you have been rushing around and are just starting to come down from that high.  When it was time to be seated in the church, I didn't even have time to look around or think about what was coming at all.  I just rushed in and sat.


Not long after, our pastor called us up, and the choir began to sing their song: "Makenna Paige, God claims you.  God helps you, protects you and loves you, too."  I barely heard them as our family and Makenna's godparents got up and took places at the front of the church.  Chad held Makenna while we renewed our vows and promises to God and to the church.  Then, our pastor took Makenna, put water on her head and baptized her in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.  She was very confused about what was going on, but such a good girl!  After that, we all placed our hands on her head for another blessing, and Dr. McKee walked her down the center aisle for everyone to see her.  He let her know that she was now a disciple of Jesus, and that in order for her to become a faithful follower, she would need to know the stories of Jesus, so those stories could become her stories.  Makenna cooed and talked, looking up at him with her sweet little face, and I could not have been prouder that she was our daughter.  All of the stress from the weekend just melted away, and I was just plain happy.  THIS was what it was all about, not the food, not the party, not the house cleaning.  Our little girl was officially being welcomed as a child of God, with our families and her amazing godparents there to celebrate with us.  There is no feeling like that in the entire world.








No comments:

Post a Comment